- Ashfield J. Taking Care of Yourself and Your Family, A Resource for Good Mental Health Book. 11th Ed. Norwood, South Australia: Peacock Publication; 2010, p271-297
- Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorder. 5th Ed. Arlington, VA: American Psychiatric Association; 2013, p716
- Grief, Mourning, and Bereavement. American Cancer Society . 2015 http://www.cancer.org/treatment/treatmentsandsideeffects/emotionalsideeffects/griefandloss/coping-with-the-loss-of-a-loved-one-intro-to-grief-mourning-bereavement (accessed March 2016)
- Kübler-Ross E, Kessler D. On Grief and Grieving: Finding the Meaning of Grief Through the Five Stages of Loss. New York: Scribner; 2005, p7 -16<https://books.google.com.au/books?hl=en&lr=&id=rQE7BAAAQBAJ&oi=fnd&pg=PR11&dq=five+stages+of+grief&ots=uNkVo1_nrC&sig=R1f_88yo9JjynUJkPUI-_RyAXB8#v=onepage&q=five%20stages%20of%20grief&f=false>
- Weiss R, Stroebe M, Hansson R, Schut H, Stroebe W. The nature and causes of grief. Handbook of bereavement research and practice: Advances in theory and intervention. Washington, DC, US: American Psychological Association; 2008, pp. 29-44, xiv, 658 pp. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/14498-002 doi: http://psycnet.apa.org/books/14498/002 (accessed March 2016)
- The Mayo Clinic. Grief: Coping with reminders after a loss. September 2015 http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/end-of-life/in-depth/grief/art-20045340
- Persistent Bereavement Complex Bereavement Disorder. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorder. 5th Ed. Arlington, VA: American Psychiatric Association; 2013, p789-791
- Bylund-Grenklo T, Fürst C, Nyberg T, Steineck G, Kreicbergs U. Unresolved grief and its consequences. A nationwide follow-up of teenage loss of a parent to cancer 6–9 years earlier [Abstract]. Supportive Care in Cancer: 2016. doi: http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00520-016-3118-1 (accessed March 2016)
- Schorr L, Burger A, Hochner H, Calderon R, Manor O, et. al. Mortality, cancer incidence, and survival in parents after bereavement. Annals of Epidemiology: 2015. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.annepidem.2015.12.008 Full text: http://www.annalsofepidemiology.org/article/S1047-2797(16)30005-9/fulltext
- Sable P. Attachment, Loss of Spouse, and Grief in Elderly Adults. Omega Journal of Death and Dying: 1991; 23 (2) p129-142 [Abstract] doi: 10.2190/PU6V-H0NW-61NY-1W5G
- Schuler T, Zaider T, Kissane D. Family Grief Therapy A vital model in oncology, palliative care, and bereavement. Family Matters 90. Australian Government, Australian Institute of Family Studies. doi: https://aifs.gov.au/publications/family-matters/issue-90/family-grief-therapy Full text: https://aifs.gov.au/sites/default/files/fm90g.pdf
- Relaxation Therapy. Blue Pages Depression Directory: 2009. http://bluepages.anu.edu.au/index.php?id=relaxation-therapy
- Xue CC, Zhang AL, Lin V, Da Costa C, Story DF. Complementary and alternative medicine use in Australia: a national population-based survey[Abstract]. J Altern Complement Med: 2007; (6):643-50. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17718647 (accessed March 2016)
- Acupuncture Therapy. UTS Acupuncture Clinic. http://www.uts.edu.au/about/faculty-science/traditional-chinese-medicine-clinic/about-us/uts-acupuncture-clinic
- Guided Imagery. WebMD: 2014. http://www.webmd.com/balance/stress-management/tc/guided-imagery-topic- overview
- Reflexology. Better Health Channel. Victoria State Government, Health and Human Services: 2015 https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/conditionsandtreatments/reflexology
- Aromatherapy. International Aromatherapy & Aromatic Medicine Association, Inc.: 2016 http://www.iaama.org.au/about-aromatherapy/about-aromatherapy
- Aromatheraphy. Better Health Channel. Victoria State Government, Health and Human Services: 2015 https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/conditionsandtreatments/aromatherapy
- Cassileth B, Deng G. Complementary and Alternative Therapies for Cancer. The Oncologist: 2005; 9 (1), pp.80-89 doi: 10.1634/theoncologist.9-1-80 Full Text: http://theoncologist.alphamedpress.org/content/9/1/80.full
- Types of Complementary and Alternative Medicine. Johns Hopkins Medicine http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/healthlibrary/conditions/complementary_and_alternative_medicine/types_of_complementary_and_alternative_medicine_85,P00189/
- Cancer Support Groups. Australian Government, Cancer Australia: 2010. https://canceraustralia.gov.au/affected-cancer/living-cancer/finding-support/cancer-support-groups
- National Cancer Institute. Complementary and Alternative Medicine http://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/treatment/cam
- Complementary and alternative therapies. Australian Government, Cancer Australia: 2010. https://canceraustralia.gov.au/publications-and-resources/position-statements/complementary-and-alternative-therapies
- Complementary and alternative medicine. The Mayo Clinic Staff, Mayo Clinic, Healthy Lifestyle, Consumer Health: 2014. http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/consumer-health/in-depth/alternative-medicine/art-20045267
- Visualisation (guided imagery). Cancer Research UK: 2015. http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/cancers-in-general/treatment/complementary-alternative/therapies/visualisation
- Alternative cancer diets. Cancer Research UK: 2014. http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/coping-with-cancer/coping-physically/diet/managing/alternative-cancer-diets#diet
- Devine EC, Westlake SK. The effects of psychoeducational care provided to adults with cancer: meta-analysis of 116 studies. Oncol Nurs Forum: 1995; 22(9), pp. 1369-81. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8539178
- Immunotherapy: Using the Immune System To Treat Cancer. NIH National Cancer Institute: 2015. http://www.cancer.gov/research/areas/treatment/immunotherapy-using-immune-system
- Moynihan T. I’ve heard that vitamin C might be an alternative cancer treatment. What can you tell me about it? The Mayo Clinic: 2014. http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/cancer/expert-answers/alternative-cancer-treatment/faq-20057968
- Complementary and Alternative Therapies. Cancer Council Australia: 2015. http://www.cancer.org.au/about-cancer/treatment/complementary-therapies-and-cancer.html
- The National Center for Complimentary and Integrative Health: 2016. https://nccih.nih.gov/\
- Oh B, Butow P, Mullan B, Beale P, Pavlakis N et.al. The use and perceived benefits resulting from the use of complementary and alternative medicine by cancer patients in Australia. Asia-Pacific Journal of Clinical Oncology: 2010. 6, pp342–349. doi: 10.1111/j.1743-7563.2010.01329.x Full Text: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1743-7563.2010.01329.x/full
- Using Trusted Sources. NIH The National Cancer Institute: 2015. http://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/managing-care/using-trusted-resources
- Understanding Complementary Therapies: A guide for people with cancer, their families and friends. Cancer Council: 2012. https://www.cancersa.org.au/assets/images/pdfs/Understanding_complementary_therapies.pdf
- Reporting medicine and vaccine adverse events. The Australian Government, Department of Health Therapeutic Goods Administration: 2016. https://www.tga.gov.au/reporting-medicine-and-vaccine-adverse-events-0
- Prognosis for Pancreatic Cancer. Cancer Council Australia: 2016. http://www.cancer.org.au/about-cancer/types-of-cancer/pancreatic-cancer.html#jump_8
- Outcome overall by stage. Cancer Research UK: 2015. http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/type/pancreatic-cancer/treatment/statistics-and-outlook-for-pancreatic-cancer
- Pancreatic Cancer, Treatment and Drugs. Clinical Trial Definition. The Mayo Clinic: 2014. http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/pancreatic-cancer/basics/treatment/con-20028153
- Francis Bacon quote http://www.dictionary.com/browse/knowledge-is-power
- Your Right To Make Decisions About Medical Treatment. University of Southern California http://weblaw.usc.edu/centers/paccenter/assets/docs/psdabrochure.pdf
- Zabalegui A, Sanchez S, Sanchez P, et. al. Nursing and cancer support groups. J Advanced Nursing: 2005; 51, pp369-81 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16086806 (accessed March 2016)
- Gotay C, Wilson M. Social Support and Cancer Screening in African American, Hispanic, and Native American Women. Cancer Practice: 1998; 6, pp. 31-37 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9460324 (accessed March 2016)
- Katapodi M, Facione N, Miaskowski C, et. al. The influence of social support on breast cancer screening in a multicultural community sample. Oncology Nursing Forum: 2002; 29, pp. 845-52 Full Text: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/11316306_The_Influence_of_Social_Support_on_Breast_Cancer_Screening_in_a_Multicultural_Community_Sample (accessed March 2016)
- Appraisal Support Definition. University of Twente https://www.utwente.nl/cw/theorieenoverzicht/Theory%20Clusters/Health%20Communication/Social_Support/
- Usta Y. Importance of Social Support in Cancer Patients, Mini-Review. Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention: 2012; 13, pp. 3569-3572 doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.8.3569 Full Text: http://apocpcontrol.com/paper_file/issue_abs/Volume13_No8/3569-72%201.20%20Yasemin%20Yldrm%20Usta.pdf>
- Diet and Pancreatic Cancer. Cancer Research UK: 2014. http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/type/pancreatic-cancer/living/diet-and-pancreatic-cancer
- Nutrition and Dietary Problems, Pancreatic Cancer. Cancer Council Victoria: 2012. http://www.cancervic.org.au/about-cancer/cancer_types/pancreatic_cancer/pancreatic-diet.html
- Caring for the Patient With Cancer at Home: A Guide for Patients and Families. American Cancer Society: 2015. http://www.cancer.org/treatment/treatmentsandsideeffects/physicalsideeffects/dealingwithsymptomsathome/index Full Text in PDF: http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/cid/documents/webcontent/002818-pdf.pdf
- Understanding Pancreatic Cancer, A guide for people with cancer, their families and friends. Cancer Council Australia: 2014. http://www.cancercouncil.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/UC-Pancreatic-CAN936.pdf
- Cormie P, Spry N, Jasas K, Johansson M, Yusoff IF, et. Al. Exercise as Medicine in the Management of pancreatic cancer: a case study. Med Sci Sports Exerc: 2014; 46 (4), pp. 664-670 doi: 10.1249/MSS.0000000000000160. Full Text: http://journals.lww.com/acsm-msse/Fulltext/2014/04000/Exercise_as_Medicine_in_the_Management_of.3.aspx
- Alternative, Complementary and Holistic Treatment. Pancreatica, Confronting Pancreatic Cancer http://pancreatica.org/faq/pancreatic-cancer-alternative-complementary-holistic-treatment/
- Hospice Care. NIH National Cancer Institute: 2012. http://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/advanced-cancer/care-choices/hospice-fact-sheet
- Advance Care Directive DIY Kit. Government of South Australia: http://www.advancecaredirectives.sa.gov.au/upload/home/Current_ACD_Guide.pdf
- Advance Care Planning for Everyone. Advance Care Planning Australia: 2016. http://advancecareplanning.org.au/advance-care-planning/for-everyone/
- Your choices to make an Advance Health Directive, appoint an Enduring Guardian. Department of the Attorney General, Government of Western Australia: 2012. http://www.publicadvocate.wa.gov.au/files/EPG_andAHD.pdf
- Enduring Power of Attorney Definition. Land and Property Information, New South Wales Government http://www.lpi.nsw.gov.au/pdf/general_lands_forms/EPA_form.pdf
- Wills and Powers of Attorney. Australian Government http://www.australia.gov.au/information-and-services/family-and-community/wills-and-powers-of-attorney
- Atruism Definition http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/altruism>
- Piferi R, Lawler K. Social support and ambulatory blood pressure: An examination of both receiving and giving. International Journal of Psychophysiology: 2006; 62 (2), pp328-336. doi:10.1016/j.ijpsycho.2006.06.002 Full Text: http://ac.els-cdn.com/S0167876006001917/1-s2.0-S0167876006001917-main.pdf?tid=620e5368-e5b6-11e5-8e3d-00000aacb35d&acdnat=145750089935f0a1ccd9a2f5025473920aa9c38777 (accessed March 2016)
- Harris A, Thoresen C. Volunteering is associated with delayed mortality in older people: analysis of the longitudinal study of aging. Health Psychol: 2005. 10, pp. 739–752
- Shmotkin D, Blumstein T, Modan B. Beyond keeping active: concomitants of being a volunteer in old-old age. Psychol. Aging:2003; 18, p. 602
- Musick M, Herzog A, House J. Volunteering and mortality among older adults: findings from a national sample. J. Gerontol:1999. Ser. B Psychol. Sci. Soc. Sci., 54 , pp. S173–S180
- Dunn E, Ashton-James C, Hanson M, Aknin L. On the Costs of Self-interested Economic Behavior, How Does Stinginess Get Under the Skin [Abstract]. Journal of Health Psychology: 2010; 23. pp41-47 doi: 10.1177/1359105309356366
- Fried L, Carlson M, Freedman M, Frick K, Glass T, et al. A social model for health promotion for an aging population: initial evidence on the Experience Corps model. J. Urban Health: 2004; 81, pp. 64–78
- Hong S, Morrow-Howell N. Health outcomes of Experience Corps®: a high- commitment volunteer program. Soc. Sci. & Med.: 2010; 71, pp. 414–420
- Shmotkin D, Blumstein T, Modan B. Beyond keeping active: concomitants of being a volunteer in old-old age. Psychol. Aging: 2003. 18 p. 602
- Mol J, Krueger F, Zahn R, Pardini M, Oliveira-Souza R, Grafman J. Human fronto–mesolimbic networks guide decisions about charitable donation. Proceedings of National Academy of Sciences: 2006; 103 (42), pp. 15623–15628 doi: 10.1073/pnas.060447510 Full Text: http://www.pnas.org/content/103/42/15623.full (accessed March 2016)
- Kim E, Konrath S.Volunteering is prospectively associated with health care use among older adults. Social Science & Medicine: 2016. 149, pp. 122-129 doi:10.1016/j.socscimed.2015.11.043 Full Text: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0277953615302495
- Quote on giving https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/here-there-and-everywhere/201212/25-quotes-giving
- Thoits, Peggy A., and Lyndi N. Hewitt. “Volunteer Work and Well-being”. Journal of Health and Social Behavior: 2001. 42 (2) pp 115–31. doi: http://www.jstor.org/stable/3090173.
- Quote on Making a Difference https://celebrationsoflife.net/making-a-difference/making-a-difference-quotes/
- Caregiver Definition, The Mayo Clinic Staff- The Mayo Clinic, 2015. http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/stress-management/in-depth/caregiver-stress/art-20044784
- Australian Carer Statistics. Carers Australia, 2015. http://www.carersaustralia.com.au/about-carers/statistics/
- How Caregivers Can Take Care of Themselves. Cancer.Net, 2015. http://www.cancer.net/coping-with-cancer/caring-loved-one/how-caregivers-can-take-care-themselves
- Carer Reactions, Caring for Someone with Cancer (PDF). Cancer Council, 2011. http://www.cancer.org.au/content/about_cancer/ebooks/Caring%20for%20someone%20with%20Cancer%20booklet.pdf
- Caring for the carer when someone is dying. CancerReasearch UK, 2014. http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/coping-with-cancer/dying/caring-for-the-carer-when-someone-is-dying#you
- For Family and Friends. NIH- National Cancer Institute, 2014. http://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/coping/family-friends
- Tips for Caregiving. Cancer.Net, 2015. http://www.cancer.net/coping-with-cancer/caring-loved-one/tips-caregiving
- Grief before death – understanding anticipatory grief. Healthdirect Australia, 2013. http://www.healthdirect.gov.au/understanding-anticipatory-grief
- Enduring Power of Attorney Definition. Carers NSW. https://www.carersnsw.org.au/advice/plan-ahead/powers-of-attorney/
- Caregivers’ Bill of Rights, Support for Caregivers-When Someone You Love Is Being Treated for Cancer. Author Unknown, National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/publications/patient-education/when-someone-you-love-is-treated.pdf
What to ask your doctor about living with Chemotherapy – Cancer Research UK
Patients’ Forum: Coping with Cancer, MedicineNet.com
Comprehensive Information for Patients: Coping with Side Effects of Chemotherapy (PDF),
Oxford Radcliffe Hospitals, NHS Trust
- Treatments and Procedures. The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland Clinic. https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/treatments_and_procedures/hic_Bone_Marrow_and_Transplantation/hic-how-to-cope-with-high-dose-chemo-radiation-therapy-side-effects
- Financial Assistance. Cancer Council Australia, 2012. http://www.cancer.org.au/policy-and-advocacy/supportive-care-policy/financial-assistance.html
- Time off Work, Everyday Life with Chemotherapy. Cancer Research UK, 2015. https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/treatments_and_procedures/hic_Bone_Marrow_and_Transplantation/hic-how-to-cope-with-high-dose-chemo-radiation-therapy-side-effects
- Before Starting Chemotherapy, Coping with Chemotherapy. Patient Education- University of San Francisco Medical Center, 2012. https://www.ucsfhealth.org/education/coping_with_chemotherapy/
- Your Mouth and Cancer Drugs. Cancer Research UK, 2013. http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/cancers-in-general/treatment/cancer-drugs/side-effects/your-mouth-and-cancer-drugs
- Metcalf E, Haines C. Coping with Chemotherapy Side Effects. Everyday Health, 2008. http://www.everydayhealth.com/cancer/chemotherapy-side-effects.aspx
- Emma Bevan, cancer patient. Cancer Research UK, 2011. http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/coping-with-cancer/tips/physically/tips-chemotherapy-side-effects
- Your digestive system and cancer drugs. Cancer Research UK, 2014. http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/cancers-in-general/treatment/cancer-drugs/side-effects/your-digestive-system-and-cancer-drugs
Cancer Council has a comprehensive list of tips for people with CRF on managing Activities of Daily Living (including shopping, work, and child care).
Issues for cancer survivors in Australia [Book], Cancer Council Australia
How cancer treatments cause fatigue? NIH National Cancer Institute
Questions related to CRF your doctor might ask
Palliative Care Clinical Trials on Fatigue and Anemia
Diet and Nutrition-Related Concerns:
Dietitians Association of Australia
Phone: 1800 812 942
Fatigue, CareSearch Australia
Western Australia Psycho-Oncology Service
Legal and Financial Assistance, Cancer Council
- Fatigue Definition http://www.emedicinehealth.com/fatigue/article_em.htm
- Fatigue versus Tiredness http://chemocare.com/chemotherapy/side-effects/fatigue-and-cancer.aspx
- Mock V, Piper B, Sabbatini P, Escalante C. National Comprehensive Cancer Network Fatigue Practice Guidelines. Oncology 2000; 14(11A): 151–61. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/resolve/reference/PMED?id=11195408
- Irvine D, Vincent L, Graydon JE, Bubela N, Thompson L. The prevalence and correlates of fatigue in patients receiving treatment with chemotherapy and radiotherapy: a comparison with the fatigue experienced by healthy individuals. Cancer Nurs 1994; 17: 367–78. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/resolve/reference/PMED?id=7954384
- Fatigue in People with Cancer. American Cancer Society, 2014. http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/cid/documents/webcontent/002842-pdf.pdf
- Fatigue can decrease a patient’s quality of life. NIH, National Cancer Institute, 2015. http://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/treatment/side-effects/fatigue/fatigue-pdq
- Fighting Cancer Fatigue. National Comprehensive Council Network, 2016. https://www.nccn.org/patients/resources/life_with_cancer/fatigue.aspx
- Cancer Fatigue, What Causes It? Cancer Council Victoria, 2016. http://www.cancervic.org.au/about-cancer/types-treatments-trials/fatigue_and_cancer
- What causes CRF? Chemocare, 2016. http://chemocare.com/chemotherapy/side-effects/fatigue-and-cancer.aspx
- Symptoms of Fatigue. Cancer Research UK, 2014. http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/coping-with-cancer/coping-physically/fatigue/symptoms-of-fatigue
- Assessment of Fatigue. NIH, National Cancer Institute, 2015. http://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/treatment/side-effects/fatigue/fatigue-pdq#section/_31
- Save your Energy, Fatigue in People with Cancer. American Cancer Society, 2014. http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/cid/documents/webcontent/002842-pdf.pdf
- Treatments for Fatigue. NIH, National Cancer Institute, 2015. http://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/treatment/side-effects/fatigue/fatigue-pdq#section/_40
- Cormie P, Spry N, Jasas K, Johansson M, Yusoff IF, et. Al. Exercise as Medicine in the Management of pancreatic cancer: a case study. Med Sci Sports Exerc: 2014; 46 (4), pp. 664-670, doi: 10.1249/MSS.0000000000000160. Full Text: http://journals.lww.com/acsm-msse/Fulltext/2014/04000/Exercise_as_Medicine_in_the_Management_of.3.aspx
- Cancer fatigue: Why it occurs and how to cope. The Mayo Clinic by the Mayo Clinic Staff 2014. http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/cancer/in-depth/cancer-fatigue/art-20047709
- Vogelzang N, Breitbart W, Cella D, Curt GA, Groopman JE, Horning SJ, et al. Patient, caregiver, and oncologist perceptions of cancer-related fatigue: results of a tri-part assessment survey. Semin Hematol 1997; 34(Suppl 2): 4–12.
- Mock V , Atkinson A , Barsevick A , et al. NCCN Practice Guidelines for Cancer-Related Fatigue. Oncology, 2000, 14(11A):151-161 http://europepmc.org/abstract/med/11195408
- Knols R, Aaronson N, Uebelhart D, Fransen J, Aufdemkampe G. Physical Exercise in Cancer Patients During and After Medical Treatment: A Systematic Review of Randomized and Controlled Clinical Trials. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 2005; 23 (16), pp. 3830-3842. doi: 10.1200/JCO.2005.02.148 http://jco.ascopubs.org/content/23/16/3830.short
- Courneya K, Friedenreich C, Quinney H, Fields A, Jones L, et. Al. A longitudinal study of exercise barriers in colorectal cancer survivors participating in a randomized controlled trial. Ann Behav Med, 2005; 29: 147-153. http://link.springer.com/article/10.1207%2Fs15324796abm2902_9
- Courneya K, McKenzie D, Reid R, Mackey J, Gelmon K, et A. Barriers to supervised exercise training in a randomized controlled trial of breast cancer patients receiving chemotherapy. Ann Behav Med, 2008; 35: 116-122. doi: 10.1007/s12160-007-9009-4 (accessed May 2016) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18347912?dopt=Abstract
- Midtgaard J, Baadsgaard MT, Moller T, Rasmussen B, Quist M, Andersen C, et al: Self-reported physical activity behaviour; exercise motivation and information among Danish adult cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy. Eur J Oncol Nurs, 2009; 13: 116-121. doi: 10.1016/j.ejon.2009.01.006 (accessed May 2016) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19230768?dopt=Abstract (Abstract)
- Buffart L, Uffelen J, Riphagen I, Brug J, van Mechelen W, Brown W, et. Al. Physical and psychosocial benefits of yoga in cancer patients and survivors, a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. BMC Cancer, 2012; 12, p559. doi: 10.1186/1471-2407-12-559 (accessed May 2016) http://bmccancer.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1471-2407-12-559
- Perna F, Craft L, Carver C, Antoni M. Negative affect and barriers to exercise among early stage breast cancer patients. Health Psychol, 2008; 27, pp. 275-279. doi: 10.1037/0278-6220.127.116.115 (accessed May 2016) http://psycnet.apa.org/?&fa=main.doiLanding&doi=10.1037/0278-618.104.22.1685
- Whitehead S, Lavelle K. Older breast cancer survivors’ views and preferences for physical activity. Qual Health Res , 2009; 19, pp.894-906. doi: 10.1177/1049732309337523 (accessed May 2016) http://qhr.sagepub.com/content/19/7/894
- Courneya K, Friedenreich C, Quinney H, Fields A, Jones L, Fairey A. Predictors of adherence and contamination in a randomized trial of exercise in colorectal cancer survivors. Psychooncology, 2004; 13(12), pp.857-866. doi: 10.1002/pon.802 (accessed May 2016) Download here
- Molassiotis A, Fernadez-Ortega P, Pud D, Ozden G, Scott J, et. Al. Use of complementary and alternative medicine in cancer patients: a European survey. Ann Oncol, 2005; 16(4), pp. 655-663. doi: 10.1093/annonc/mdi110 (accessed May 2016) http://annonc.oxfordjournals.org/
- Ernst E, Cassileth B. The prevalence of complementary/alternative medicine in cancer: a systematic review. Cancer, 1998; 83(4), pp.777-782. doi: 10.1002/(SICI)1097-0142(19980815)83:4<777::AID-CNCR22>3.0.CO;2-O (accessed May 2016) http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/%28SICI%291097-0142%2819980815%2983:4%3C777::AID-CNCR22%3E3.0.CO;2-O/pdf
- Bernstein B, Grasso T. Prevalence of complementary and alternative medicine use in cancer patients. Oncology, 200; 15, 1267-1272 http://www.cancernetwork.com/oncology-journal/prevalence-complementary-and-alternative-medicine-use-cancer-patients (accessed May 2016)
- Lipton L. Using yoga to treat disease: an evidence-based review. Journal of the American Academy of Physician Assistants, 2008; 21(2), pp.34-41. http://journals.lww.com/jaapa/pages/articleviewer.aspx?year=2008&issue=02000&article=00012&type=abstract (Abstract) (accessed May 2016)
- Yoga, Core Principles and Precaution. The Mayo Clinic Staff-The mayo Clinic, 2015. http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/stress-management/in-depth/yoga/art-20044733?pg=1
- Watson S, Ratini M. Yoga, How it Works. WebMD, 2016 http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/a-z/yoga-workouts
- Meta-analysis Definition, 2011. http://www.thefreedictionary.com/meta-analysis
- Buffart L, Uffeken J, Riphagen, Brug J, Mechelen W, et. Al. Physical and psychosocial benefits of yoga in cancer patients and survivors, a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. BMC Cancer, 2012. 12, pp 559. doi: 10.1186/1471-2407-12-559 (accessed May 2016) Download here (PDF)
- Lin K, Hu Y, Chang K, Lin H, Tsauo J. Effects of yoga on psychological health, quality of life, and physical health of patients with cancer: a meta-analysis. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med, 2011. doi: 10.1155/2011/659876 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3062158/
- Smith K, Pukall C. An evidence-based review of yoga as a complementary intervention for patients with cancer. Psychooncology, 2009; 18, pp.465-475. doi: 10.1002/pon.1411 Download here
- Bower J, Woolery A, Sternlieb B, Garet D. Yoga for cancer patients and survivors. Cancer Control, 2005; 12(3), pp.165-71. https://www.moffitt.org/File%20Library/Main%20Nav/Research%20and%20Clinical%20Trials/Cancer%20Control%20Journal/v12n3/165.pdf (PDF)
- National Comprehensive Cancer Network, Exercising During Cancer Treatment, https://www.nccn.org/patients/resources/life_with_cancer/exercise.aspx (May 18, 2016).
- American Cancer Society, Physical Activity and the Cancer Patient, http://www.cancer.org/treatment/survivorshipduringandaftertreatment/stayingactive/physical-activity-and-the-cancer-patient (May 17, 2016).
- Julie Grisham, “What are the benefits of exercise during and after cancer treatment?” Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, Jan. 2, 2014 (https://www.mskcc.org/blog/what-are-benefits-exercise-during-and-after-treatment)
- Cancer Council Australia, Exercise, http://www.cancervic.org.au/living-with-cancer/exercise (May 18, 2016).
- Cancer Council Australia, Exercise tips for those with cancer, http://www.cancervic.org.au/living-with-cancer/exercise/exercise-tips (May 18, 2016).
- Cancer Australia, All cancers in Australia, https://canceraustralia.gov.au/affected-cancer/what-cancer/cancer-australia-statistics (May 9, 2016).
- Jeremy W Couper, Annabel C Pollard and Dianne A Clifton, “Depression and Cancer,” Medical Journal of Australia (2012).
- Carolyn Gregoire, “Mindfulness-Based Therapies May Help Ease Stress Of Cancer Treatment,” Huffington Post, April 17, 2013 (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/17/mindfulness-cancer-treatment-therapies-stress_n_3095435.html)
- Greg R Sharplin, Simeon B W Jones, Barbara Hancock, Vikki E Knott, Jacqueline A Bowden and Hayley S Whitford, “Mindfulness-based cognitive therapy: an efficacious community-based group intervention for depression and anxiety in a sample of cancer patients,” Medical Journal of Australia (2010).
- Cancer Research UK, Meditation, http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/cancers-in-general/treatment/complementary-alternative/therapies/meditation (May 8, 2016).
- Shelley A Johns, Diane Von Ah, Linda F.Brown, Kathleen Beck-Coon, Tasneem L Talib, Jennifer M Alyea, Patrick O Monahan, et al. “Randomized controlled pilot trial of mindfulness-based stress reduction for breast and colorectal cancer survivors: effects on cancer-related cognitive impairment,” Journal of Cancer Survivorship (November 2015).
- Huffington Post, April 17, 2013.
- Linda E Carlson, ” Mindfulness for Cancer and Terminal Illness,” in Louis S. Warren, ed., Mindfulness-Based Cancer Recovery (Oakland, CA: New Harbinger Publications, 2011).
- Cancer Council Australia, Complementary and alternative therapies, http://www.cancer.org.au/about-cancer/treatment/complementary-therapies-and-cancer.html (May 9, 2016).
- American Cancer Society, Nutrition for the Person With Cancer During Treatment, http://www.cancer.org/treatment/survivorshipduringandaftertreatment/nutritionforpeoplewithcancer/nutritionforthepersonwithcancer/index#kWvmvoQaYuDhisxZ.97 (May 11, 2016).
- Wendy Demark-Wahnefried, Lee W Jones, “Promoting a Healthy Lifestyle among Cancer Survivors,” Hematology/Oncology Clinics of North America (2009).
- Cancer Council Victoria, Nutrition, http://www.cancervic.org.au/living-with-cancer/diet-nutrition (May 10, 2016).
- American Cancer Society, Benefits of good nutrition during cancer treatment, http://www.cancer.org/treatment/survivorshipduringandaftertreatment/nutritionforpeoplewithcancer/nutritionforthepersonwithcancer/nutrition-during-treatment-benefits (May 11, 2016).
- http://www.cancer.org/treatment/survivorshipduringandaftertreatment/nutritionforpeoplewithcancer/nutritionforthepersonwithcancer/nutrition-during-treatment-benefits Ibid.
- Mitchell, Charlotte. “Cancer diets warning.” MJA InSight, August 17, 2015. https://www.mja.com.au/insight/2015/31/cancer-diets-warning.
- Cancer Australia, Eating problems, https://canceraustralia.gov.au/affected-cancer/living-cancer/managing-physical-changes/eating-problems (May 10, 2016).